Most helpful review
Junior Reviewer

Sherriff Goslin Roofing - Sherriff-Goslin Company, what the did to us was despicable. How the BBB can still rate them A+ is a scam!
All views expressed in this review are our own and do not necessarily represent the Sherriff-Goslin Company's (noting the Mansfield, Ohio branch), the BBB's (noting the BBB serving Western Michigan) and the CBBB's positions, strategies or opinions. We openly challenge...

Don't ever work for this company- bunch of *** doing every thing they can to scam you and poor quality work- really disgusting bunch of people!! Mansfield Ohio branch

Price reduction

Dissatisfied customer

They didn't use drip edge or ice and water shield and only a single layer of rolled roofing in valleys. valley began to leak 3 years after they installed. What a nightmare. This company should not be in business.

User's recommendation: Do NOT use Sheriff Goslin!!!!!

#2072053

Hello, we would like to help resolve this issue for you. Could you please provide information on the branch that serviced your roof - we have many branches in multiple states. Thank you

ID
#2920386 Review #2920386 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Apology

Resolved: Don't sign it without someone who knows roofs

Sherriff Goslin Roofing - Don't sign it without someone who knows roofs
Sherriff Goslin Roofing - Don't sign it without someone who knows roofs
Update by user Jun 29, 2021

Company fixed the issue and I have been provided with full refund.

Original review posted by user Jun 29, 2021
30 warranty not on paper but told could only do it verbally. Also charged at a discount extra $800. Also would not invite me to watch measuring roof. Thought it was 150 square feet bundles.
Resolved

Terrible company

I worked there to begin the year and unlike most companies, who on rain days/power outages or other unforeseen incidences, either find something for you to do, like clean, organize, (maybe even start working on stuff in the shop that if osha had seen they would have bulldozed the entire building and told them to start over) or they would pay you for the day and send you home if they couldn't provide you with work. Sherriff goslin just has you sit at home and twiddle your thumbs. So after weeks of working one or two days a week, and twiddling for the rest. I started pulling in my own side jobs so i could start paying bills. The ann arbor branch manager, Ben, who had little desire to call or answer my phone before this, all of a sudden knew who i was and how to contact me. He told me i would start showing up everyday and that side jobs were for the weekends(yeah, when you work for a real company) so i weighed my options and continued with my side jobs since i would ultimately survive off of them. The company figured theyd stiff me back by not paying me my last paycheck. I called the corporate office who transferred me to payroll, and mustve given the lady a heads up on the reasoning of my call. She picked up with attitude and disbelief, no hello, just, "and why are you calling" i nicely explained the ben sherriff was not giving me my last check because i didnt follow his orders and went my own way. She said shed look into it and if I'm owed money i would get it. I told her i have multiple pieces of evidence, including video footage of me on compqny property, getting in work vehicle with other employee, coming back at the end of the day, and getting in my vehicle and leaving.(they do clocking in and out on a piece of paper that im positive, vanished). She said shed get back to me in one day...its been over 2 weeks. Which leads me to a couple more complaints. I cant count the number of times my foreman and myself had to explain the name, and function of the products we used, to the branch manager. He never had a clue what he was doing and was thrown there because hes related to the founders. He had us go to countless jobs and find sources of leaks because he didnt know where to start looking. Think about that when you go to hire someone for a roofing job. Say no to wronging employees, say no to *** work for top dollar. Say no to sherriff-goslin.

Hello We would like to help resolve this issue. Could you please call the main office at your connivence and ask for Craig Lockerbie. 269 962-4036 Thank you

Zilwaukee City, Michigan
Pros
  • Have shingles
Cons
  • Overpriced
  • Dont pay their employees
  • Not knowledgeable
Work Experience or Job Application
Loss

Very poor company to work with

I had the roof put on 10 years ago. I have leaks ever since the new roof was put on. I tried to work with them to get the issues fixed. i couldn't seem to get things fixed with this company.

We would like to opportunity to assist you with your concerns. We would need to address of the property in order to research your issue.

Seems fine.

This guy came out and pointed to just a few minor things needing fixing to stop the leak. The charge was minor. A different company had actually made up a fantasy list of items totaling almost $6000.

Thank you for the review, it was a pleasure to provide you with the level of service you needed.

Good customer service

These guys are TERRIBLE!!!

Sherriff Goslin Roofing - These guys are TERRIBLE!!!
DO NOT HIRE THESE GUYS FOR ANYTHING!!! A few years ago we had them new roofing on our home, and they completely neglected to put in any form of ventilation or flashing around any of the skylights, causing water to seep in and cause major damage to our home. The roof nearly caved, and we had serious mold, which forced us to gut our entire second floor for remediation and reconstruction, as well as having our two year old roof COMPLETELY REPLACED (which we had done by REAL PROFESSIONALS - NOT Sheriff-Goslin). These guys are total scam artists and have no idea what they are doing. They do not get the proper work permits, and their crews are sloppy and rude. Sheriff-Goslin easily cost us anywhere between $50-80k in damages. DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU!

Just to prove my point: https://sherriff-goslin-roofing.pissedconsumer.com/very-poor-company-to-work-with-201905****35639.html https://sherriff-goslin-roofing.pissedconsumer.com/sherriff-goslin-roofing-customer-care-review-from-lansing-michigan-201704****40471.html https://sherriff-goslin-roofing.pissedconsumer.com/bad-form-201806****73245.html https://sherriff-goslin-roofing.pissedconsumer.com/sherriff-goslin-company-what-the-did-to-us-was-despicable-how-the-bbb-can-still-rate-them-a-is-a-scam-201703****26612.html https://sherriff-goslin-roofing.pissedconsumer.com/worst-mistake-of-our-lives-201607****0350.html https://sherriff-goslin-roofing.pissedconsumer.com/very-poor-company-to-work-with-201905****35639.html https://sherriff-goslin-roofing.pissedconsumer.com/sherriff-goslin-roofing-roof-installation-review-from-benton-harbor-michigan-201612****9809.html https://sherriff-goslin-roofing.pissedconsumer.com/put-holes-in-my-roof-then-never-showed-up-201809****51572.html

Hahahah, and you just thought you would hop on over here to dispute my negative review of this company, eh John? Give me a break!

If you ARE a real customer of this company (which I highly doubt), I am very happy that you received decent service with your "similar problem." Because I know how important decent service is when the roofing company forgets to obtain the proper permits, or forgets to install the proper ventilation for your roof, or forgets to install flashing around your skylights, and then denies any responsibility when moisture and mold form in YOUR home. Furthermore, I can totally see how one knowledgable serviceman would be able to take care of such "similar problems" immediately...even though it took a team of guys 6 months to complete all the needed repairs needed on our home. But sure...you're a real person, and I am sure that you are not associated with Sheriff-Goslin in any way, shape, or form...and if you think I really believe that, then I've got a bridge to sell you. Okay, to any real consumers reading this, the below review by John Wesch should go to illustrate the kind of people you are dealing with when you deal with a company like Sheriff-Goslin.

By now they have denied the work they did, they denied that I was a customer and accused me of filing a false complaint (for what reason exactly, I am unsure?), they have denied responsibility for poor work, and now they have attempted to post an obviously false counter-review.

You can trust them if you want to...but if you've read this thread then you cannot say that you weren't warned. I stand by what I stated in my initial complaint: IF YOU VALUE YOUR HOME, DO NOT HIRE THESE GUYS FOR ANYTHING!!!

I disagree with your opinion. Your troubles were unfortunate, But I had a similar problem and I could not be any more happier or satisfied with the end results.

The friendly and knowledgeable serviceman was able to do my repairs immediately. The service call was well worth the cost.

Don't act like you don't know that this is your handiwork. YOU KNOW WHAT YOU DID, and you knew you were responsible the day we met at the house, Craig.

I know I certainly haven't forgotten, nor will I EVER. Craig, if you don't know who this is, it makes me wonder just how many people you've done this to?

@PissedConsumer1660360

You have posted this same review and provided a photo of the work on our Google page, and here is our response - Thank you for sharing the picture of your skylight. It has been shared with the entire Cincinnati office, include Tom – the area manager of 26 years.

This photo does not look familiar to anyone in the Cincinnati office. There is no Craig in Cincinnati, or a Greg – in case you may have spoken with a “Greg”. There has never been a Craig/Greg in the Cincinnati office. We have no contract in Cincinnati, or any of our offices for a Vance Marder.

The only way for us to respond/assist is by address. We would need the address of this project. We would like to opportunity to research this project but based on the information you provided, there is nothing that connects this job to Sherriff-Goslin Cincinnati.

Please provide address of project so we can research further. Thank you

@SherriffGoslinRoofingComp

"Craig Lockerbie"

@Scott B Vxe

Please provide the address for this project so we can direct this to the correct branch. You are reaching out to the Cincinnati office and they have no records of this project.

We would like to research further but are not able to do this without the address. Thank you

Vance Marder, really curious we have no record of you as a customer can you provide me with an address or phone # please, this is so sad to hear please reach out to me asap 513-874-**** we responded yesterday checking to get info on our recent response

@PissedConsumer1660281

Don't act like you don't know that this is your handiwork. YOU KNOW WHAT YOU DID, and you knew you were responsible the day we met at the house, Craig (Yes, how surprising that your name isn't really Eddie!). I know I certainly haven't forgotten what Sheriff-Goslin did or has cost me, nor will I EVER.

View more comments (8)
Bad quality

On Time and Well Done

The workers were there if not anything early, we have a 4k square foot roof in much need of a new roof. The price was no surprise. The workers were there and done in 2 days as promised, they did a nice job cleaning up to, Yes I would recommend this company to everyone. I did not know how bad my roof was until they stripped back the old shingles, WOW! I needed alot of them removed. Now when I see the complete difference, I am amazed. The workers were all polite, they had to move alot of decorations around my house, and they put them back perfectly. I have had two houses that I needed a new roof on, and Sherriff-Goslin is the best, no complaints.

Thank you for your review, it's a pleasure to have served you.

Thank you for the 5-star review, we are happy when our customers are happy!

Mishawaka, Indiana
Good quality

PUT HOLES IN MY ROOF THEN NEVER SHOWED UP

Shopped around and settled on Sherriff Goslin. Signed contract 03-29-17. They punched holes in my roof to assess it and put temp patches on roof. Said they would start work in a couple weeks. NEVER came back! I called about 30-40 times and got the excuse that the person I was calling for not in and would call back. Never did. Called the rep that came to my house on the cell number I had and left at least dozen messages, no call back. A year and a half later I'm looking at my credit report and see that Sherriff Goslin ran my credit (I have PERFECT credit) which reminded me that they never came back so I decided to write this review. Needless to say I'm shocked by their utter lack of professionalism. I need to consider legal action since they damaged my roof. My advice DO NOT do business with them.

Springfield, Michigan
Sherriff Goslin Roofing Roofing
Cons
  • Nightmare
Reason of review
Never started or completed work as per contract
$2000
unknown

They backed out of contract after almost a year

The company had a contract with us to roof my house. I called the company and said that after 2 failed (on their part) scheduled times, the least they could do is offer a discount on the work since we have had to wait almost a year to get this done. They said that they wouldn't do that, and determined that we were a liability for them because we would have to move vehicles and buildings around the house. Comment was made that we would have to police the area for nails upon completion and that was the last straw. They told me they weren't going to roof the house now and we could find someone else. They acted like we the customer had done something wrong. We never cancelled an appointment nor was rude to them. I will never do business with this company and I will never recommend them to anyone.

Sherriff Goslin Roofing Roofing
Cons
  • No show
Reason of review
They did not deliver as contracted

Verified Reviewer

Resolved: Guarantee is WORTHLESS

Update by user Jul 13, 2018

Two roofers finally came out on 7-5-18 and worked in the 98 decree heat for hours. No way to know if the leaks are really fixed until the next downpour. But they did try.

Original review posted by user Jun 26, 2018
Back in 2009 I paid over $20,000 To Sherriff Goslin Roofing for nfor a new roof on my house which the fast-talking salesman told me was guaranteed for ten years. About 6 months after the roof was completed I noticed a leak in two places in my front entry rent hall. I hesitated to call them back because of the hassle and of course their fast-talking lies. Finally with the leaks getting worse, I called them in April 2018 and they have been dicking me around ever since! Promising to fix it and then vanishing for 6 weeks at a time. I am NOT going to chase these jerks around any more blocks. Time to report them to the Better Business Bureau and seek legal help. Bottom line is that their so called "guarantee" is indeed not worth the paper it is written on.

We hope that our repair was done to your satisfaction. Thank you for allowing us to serve you.

Resolved
Benton Harbor, Michigan
Sherriff Goslin Roofing Roofing
Cons
  • Rudeness
  • Blithely walking away from damage
  • Worthless 10-year guarantee
Warranty issue
Let the company propose a solution

Hard to communicate with.

Asked for an estimate. They went to property and never hear back from them. Two weeks go by. I don't hear from him. So I call back. "Didn't you get my text?", he says. Uh no, my home phone doesn't have text. Voice mail or email a problem for you? Anyway, I give him another chance. Goes back out to reconfirm. Says leak is from the chimney. Needs repair and new flashing. Gives me an estimate. I am read to give the go ahead and even have credit card info to pay. Says he will send contract and chimney guys contact info. Three days go by, no response. Tenants leak still leaking. Drip, drip, drip. I cancel and am now looking for another company that will hopefully not waste more of my time.

We apologize for the level of service you received, this is not how we do business.

Mishawaka, Indiana
Sherriff Goslin Roofing Customer Care
Pros
  • Frustrating
Poor customer service

They won't even go halvsy on repairs

I had no complaints with the company up until the time that I discovered (delayed because of my early dark hours and was laid up too) that their service vehicle and dumpster had damaged my driveway with a round 2 - 3 foot round crack that encompassed the corner of four of my concrete slabs. They sent a rep out and contacted me disavowing that they had been the cause when I know for a fact from snow blowing it jus a few weeks prior that there was no issue with my drive. All they had to do was lay down plywood sheets on sensitive slab corners (from thaw and tons of rain softened underlaying soil) to distribute the weight of the truck over a larger area...SIMPLE I could have the concrete crack tested for how old/recent it was (materials engineering) and hire a lawyer...in other words spend 10 thousand to get 5 thousand back ~ when all I ever wanted to do was go to my grave without ever having to deal with a lawyer (I have no history of complaining or complaints) ...Hmmmm
Ypsilanti, Michigan
Cons
  • Blithely walking away from damage
Damaged driveway
Let the company propose a solution

Bad form!

I talked to a "salesman", Jim regarding my leaking roof and the asbestos shingles that would have to be dealt with. He assured me with much bravado that they were "not scared of asbestos" and they could handle any roofing issue. After setting up an appointment wherein I had to leave work to meet him at my house, he did not show up and only after I called him after waiting a half hour did he say he was "running late". Then after checking my property after I had left (with my permission) he called the next day to sheepishly report that his "boss", "didn't want anything to do with this job". Thanks so much for wasting my time! I will tell my friends not to bother calling this company. Bad form!

The salesman was inadequately trained. That is painfully obvious so your sarcastic remarks "much bravado" etc.

are unnecessary and somewhat vindictive. Apparently you have never dealt with architectural asbestos yourself and have no idea what you'd be getting into ; I have, on several occasions, and you need a specialist in hazardous materials removal and disposal - you should have known that.

ID
Cons
  • Jim

Cash over credit

I offered to pay cash, their contract says in small print they have right to access your credit and dropping your score. I asked them to revers the inquire they did nothing ! BEWEARE SIGN NOTHING! Take time to read tiny print

Unfortunately, we have learned that some people say they are going to "pay cash" as a way to try and negotiate a cheaper price, and then when the time comes to pay the bill, they sometimes don't keep their word.We are not saying that you are one of those people.However, because of a few bad apples, we really have no choice but to run a credit check as part of every contract. If our representative did not explain this well enough, then we sincerely apologize for that.

We are always striving to improve and we will do better in the future.Additionally, for most people, looking for new credit can equate with higher risk, but most Credit Scores are not affected by multiple inquiries from auto, mortgage or student loan lenders within a short period of time. Typically, these are treated as a single inquiry and will have little impact on your credit scores.Credit Checks: How Credit Report Inquiries Affect Your Credit Scorehttps://www.myfico.com/credit-education/credit-checks/credit-report-inquiries/

Long-Term Customer Service

I had Sherriff Goslin do a roof re-shingling a few years ago for my house in East Lansing with great results. Today, the company helped me locate a problem with squirrel invasion through me aluminum siding. I really appreciate their ability to keep assisting the customer.
Sherriff Goslin Roofing Roof Installation
Good customer service

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article